Signal and data processing, information theory, and their applications to neuroengineering with focus areas in (i) understanding neuronal circuits connectivity and the impact of learning on connectivity (ii) developing minimally invasive and non-invasive real-time closed-loop stimulation of neuronal systems to mitigate disorders such as epilepsy, Parkinson, depression, and obesity, (iii) developing a patient-specific multi-site wireless monitoring and pacing system with temporal and spatial precision to restore the healthy function of a diseased heart.
Current Research Projects
2019-2023: NIH (R01): Leadless wirelessly powered pacemaker for multi-chamber pacing using miniaturized pacing and sensing node (PI Mehdi Razavi, THI BCM)
- Aazhang Group Graduate Student: Anton Banta
2018-2021: NIH (NINDS): Large scale recording of population activity during social cognition in freely moving non-human primates (PI Valentin Dragoi, UTHSC)
- Aazhang Group Graduate Student: Sudha Yellapantula
2018-2021: NSF (SCH): INT — Collaborative Research: Patient Specific Multi-site Pacing of Diseased Human Hearts (co-PI Mehdi Razavi, THI BCM and Yingyan Lin, Rice University)
- Aazhang Group Graduate Student: Romain Cosentino
2018-2021: McNair Foundation: Novel Non-Invasive Neuro-stimulation Treatments for Neuropsychiatric Disorders (PI Wayne Goodman at Baylor College of Medicine)
- Aazhang Group Graduate Students: Fatima Ahsan & Boqiang Fan
2018-2021: CISCO Research Center: A Machine Learning Pipeline for Cross-Layer Optimization in 802.11ax Networks
- Aazhang Group Graduate Student: Shi Su
2017-2021: Dan L. Duncan Foundation: Postdoctoral Fellows in Neuroengineering (co-PIs Jacob Robinson and Caleb Kemere at Rice University)
- Aazhang Group Graduate Students: Negar Erfanian, Dorsa E. P. Moghadam & Joe Young
• “A Transmission Method Based on Re-configurable Antenna Arrays,” Shi Su, Lie Huang, Yi Wang, Behnaam Aazhang
• “A Resource Allocation Method for Robust Transmissions in a Multi-Tier Millimeter-Wave Network” Boqiang Fan, Lie Huang, Yi Wang, Behnaam Aazhang
• “Strategies to Develop a Multi-tier Millimeter-Wave Networks Robust to Blockage,” Shuqiao Jia, Lie Huwang, Yi Wang, Behnaam Aazhang
• “Fair power allocation methodlogy for cooperative cellular communications” by Matthew Nokleby and Behnaam Aazhang (2009)
• “A Novel Adaptive Beamforming Codebook for Limited Feedback in MIMO Systems” by Davood Shamsi, Kiarash Amiri, Behnaam Aazhang, Joseph Cavallaro, Jorma Lilleberg (2007)
• “Quantizer-Design Technique for Half-Duplex Estimate-and-Forward Relaying” by Arnab Chakrabarti, Ashutosh Sabharwal, and Behnaam Aazhang (2007)
• “Variable Rate Soft Information Forwarding” by Arnab Chakrabarti, Alexandre de Baynast, Ashutosh Sabharwal, and Behnaam Aazhang (2007)
• “LDPC Code Design for Half-Duplex Decode-And-Forward Relaying” by Arnab Chakrabarti, Alexandre de Baynast, Ashutosh Sabharwal, and Behnaam Aazhang (2007)
• “Ordered ARQ for multicarrier systems” Mohammad. J. Borran, Behnaam Aazhang, Pramod Varshney (2005)
• “On power control for cooperative relay network” by Nasir Ahmed, Mohammad Ali Khojastepour, Ashutosh Sabharwal, and Behnaam Aazhang (2004 NC 44098)
• “Fixed point implementation of LMMSE equalizer for multiuser MIMO system based on CG algorithm and vectorial covariance matrix estimation” by Predrag Radosavljevic, Alexandre de Baynast, Joseph Cavallaro, and Behnaam Aazhang. (2004 NC 17731).
• “A Generalized m-rank Beamformer, using Successive Quantization Idea,” by Krishna Kiran Mukkavilli, Ashutosh Sabharwal, and Behnaam Aazhang.(2004 NC 17733)
• “Partially coherent constellations for multiple antenna systems” by Mohammad Jaber Borran, Ashutosh Sabharwal, Behnaam Aazhang and Prabodh Varshney. (2003 C25742).
• “Coded modulation for partially coherent systems” by Mohammad Jaber Borran and Behnaam Aazhang. (2003 NCD17675).
• “Method and Apparatus for Providing Differential Multistage Detection in the Reverse Link of a Code Division Multiple Access Communication System” by Gang Xu, Joseph Cavallaro and Behnaam Aazhang (1998 Chinese Patent granted CN1310888T, European Patent granted EP1101290 US Patent 6529495).
• “System and method for performing optical code division multiple access communication using bipolar codes” by Lim Nguyen, Behnaam Aazhang, James F. Young (1996)