Signal and data processing, information theory, and their applications to wireless communication with a focus on the interplay of communication systems and networks; including network coding, user cooperation, spectrum sharing, opportunistic access, and scheduling with different delay constraints as well as millimeter wave communications.
Signal and data processing, information theory, and their applications to neuro-engineering with foci on (i) modeling neuronal circuits connectivity and the impact of learning on connectivity (ii) real-time closed-loop stabilization of neuronal systems to mitigate disorders such as epilepsy, Parkinson, depression, and obesity, (iii) developing an understanding of cortical representation and fine-grained connectivity in the human language system and on building microelectronics with large data analysis techniques to develop a fine-grained recording and modulation system to remediate language disorders.
Current Research Projects
2017-2019: Dan L. Duncan Foundation: Postdoctoral Fellows in Neuroengineering (with Jacob Robinson and Caleb Kemere)
2015-2018: NSF (ECCS): Collaborative Research: Full-Duplex Cognitive Radio: A New Design Paradigm for Enhancing Spectrum Usage (with Zhu Han at University of Houston)
2015-2017: UT System: Developing Integrated Methods for Analyzing Brain Circuits (PI John Byrne at UTHSC)
2015-2018: NSF (NCS): Micro-scale Real-time Decoding and Closed-loop Modulation of Human Language (with Aydin Babakhani and Nitin Tandon at UTHSC)
2015-2018: NSF (NeTS Small): Collaborative Research: A Service Centric Architecture for Efficient Spectral Utilization in Wireless Networks (with Anthony Ephremides at Maryland)
2015-2020: Helmsley Trust: Vertically Integrated Projects (with Ed Coyle at Georgia Tech)
2014-2017: NSF (SCH): Exploring Sparsity and Spectral-Temporal Decomposition in Real-Time Network Modulation for Intractable Epilepsy (with Nitin Tandon at UTHSC)
2014-2017: NSF (CIF Medium): Interference-Aware Cooperation via Structured Codes: Creating an Empirical Cycle (with B. Nazer at BU and K. Narayanan at Texas A&M)
- Elec 430: Digital Communications
- Elec 533: Introduction to Random Processes and Applications
- ELEC 491/591: Vertically Integrated Projects
- ELEC 475/575: Learning from Sensor Data
• “A Transmission Method Based on Re-configurable Antenna Arrays,” Shi Su, Lie Huang, Yi Wang, Behnaam Aazhang
• “A Resource Allocation Method for Robust Transmissions in a Multi-Tier Millimeter-Wave Network” Boqiang Fan, Lie Huang, Yi Wang, Behnaam Aazhang
• “Strategies to Develop a Multi-tier Millimeter-Wave Networks Robust to Blockage,” Shuqiao Jia, Lie Huwang, Yi Wang, Behnaam Aazhang
• “Fair power allocation methodlogy for cooperative cellular communications” by Matthew Nokleby and Behnaam Aazhang (2009)
• “A Novel Adaptive Beamforming Codebook for Limited Feedback in MIMO Systems” by Davood Shamsi, Kiarash Amiri, Behnaam Aazhang, Joseph Cavallaro, Jorma Lilleberg (2007)
• “Quantizer-Design Technique for Half-Duplex Estimate-and-Forward Relaying” by Arnab Chakrabarti, Ashutosh Sabharwal, and Behnaam Aazhang (2007)
• “Variable Rate Soft Information Forwarding” by Arnab Chakrabarti, Alexandre de Baynast, Ashutosh Sabharwal, and Behnaam Aazhang (2007)
• “LDPC Code Design for Half-Duplex Decode-And-Forward Relaying” by Arnab Chakrabarti, Alexandre de Baynast, Ashutosh Sabharwal, and Behnaam Aazhang (2007)
• “Ordered ARQ for multicarrier systems” Mohammad. J. Borran, Behnaam Aazhang, Pramod Varshney (2005)
• “On power control for cooperative relay network” by Nasir Ahmed, Mohammad Ali Khojastepour, Ashutosh Sabharwal, and Behnaam Aazhang (2004 NC 44098)
• “Fixed point implementation of LMMSE equalizer for multiuser MIMO system based on CG algorithm and vectorial covariance matrix estimation” by Predrag Radosavljevic, Alexandre de Baynast, Joseph Cavallaro, and Behnaam Aazhang. (2004 NC 17731).
• “A Generalized m-rank Beamformer, using Successive Quantization Idea,” by Krishna Kiran Mukkavilli, Ashutosh Sabharwal, and Behnaam Aazhang.(2004 NC 17733)
• “Partially coherent constellations for multiple antenna systems” by Mohammad Jaber Borran, Ashutosh Sabharwal, Behnaam Aazhang and Prabodh Varshney. (2004 C25742).
• “Coded modulation for partially coherent systems” by Mohammad Jaber Borran and Behnaam Aazhang. (2003 NCD17675).
• “Partially coherent constellations for multiple antenna systems” by Mohammad Jaber Borran, Ashutosh Sabharwal, Behnaam Aazhang and Prabodh Varshney. (2003 C25742).
• “Method and Apparatus for Providing Differential Multistage Detection in the Reverse Link of a Code Division Multiple Access Communication System” by Gang Xu, Joseph Cavallaro and Behnaam Aazhang (1998 Chinese Patent granted CN1310888T, European Patent granted EP1101290 US Patent 6529495).
• “System and method for performing optical code division multiple access communication using bipolar codes” by Lim Nguyen, Behnaam Aazhang, James F. Young (1996)